Commissioner of the Revenue
About the Commissioner of the Revenue
The Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office has daily interactions with all the taxpayers of the City, both individuals and businesses. This office maintains a wide range of public and private records in support of its duties. Those duties include:
- Assessing tangible personal and business property, (vehicles, watercraft, trailers, business furniture and fixtures, and machinery and tools).
- Assessing public service entities, bank franchises, and business, professional, and occupational licenses.
- Providing assistance to Colonial Heights residents in the preparation of Virginia State Income Tax returns, filing of those returns, and estimated tax payments.
- Administering the prepared meals tax and transient lodging tax.
- Protecting confidential taxpayer information.
- Administering real estate tax relief or exemptions for: