- Our Government
- City Departments & Offices
- Youth & Human Services
- Domestic Violence Task Force
JUVENILE & DOMESTIC VIOLENCE TASK FORCE
What Is Domestic Violence?Domestic Violence is a pattern of abusive behaviors used by one individual to exert power over another individual in the context of an intimate or family relationship. It can be physical, emotional, and/or sexual.
To keep control, abusers will use:
- Intimidation – looks/gestures, smashing things, displaying weapons, etc.
- Emotional Abuse - name calling, guilt, mind games, humiliation, put downs.
- Isolation – limits, contact with friends & family, and outside involvement.
- Economic Abuse – not allowed to get/keep a job, no access to family income, must ask for money.
- Threats – violence, suicide if you leave, will report you to social services.
- Sympathy – will say they are sorry, they love you, it will never happen again. Abuser might even buy a gift.
- Prevention steps can be taken at any time - before there is a concern that a child is being abused - to reestablish safety to prevent further abuse. By becoming educated about child abuse (physical, sexual, emotional, neglectful), you are already becoming a proactive and protective adult.
- Trust your gut. You may be the only one who can take action. Studies show that in as many as nine out of ten cases, kids don't tell anyone they are being abused. If something makes you uncomfortable, speak up. Your voice is the first line of defense in keeping kids safe. Talk to family members and other adults about safeguarding children.
- Warning Signs - A "warning sign" is really just another way of saying an "opportunity for prevention" - a chance for caring adults to recognize possible risk and to take action to protect children.
Don't Go It Alone - There Is Help!
24 Hour Hotlines and Other Resources:
|VA Family Violence & Sexual Assault||1-800-838-8238|
|James House – DV/Sexual Assault Intervention Prevention||804-458-2840|
|District 19/Crisis Intervention||804-862-8000|
|Colonial Heights Police||911|
|Colonial Heights Police Non-Emergency||804-520-9300|
|Victim Witness Program – Laure Hahn, Director||804-520-9258|
|Child Protective Services||804-748-1100|
|Central Virginia Legal Aid||804-862-1100|
|Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court Service Unit||804-520-9355