JUVENILE & DOMESTIC VIOLENCE TASK FORCE
What Is Domestic Violence?
Domestic Violence is a pattern of abusive behaviors used by one individual to exert power over another individual in the context of an intimate or family relationship. It can be physical, emotional, and/or sexual.
To keep control, abusers will use:
- Intimidation – looks/gestures, smashing things, displaying weapons, etc.
- Emotional Abuse - name calling, guilt, mind games, humiliation, put downs.
- Isolation – limits, contact with friends & family, and outside involvement.
- Economic Abuse – not allowed to get/keep a job, no access to family income, must ask for money.
- Threats – violence, suicide if you leave, will report you to social services.
- Sympathy – will say they are sorry, they love you, it will never happen again. Abuser might even buy a gift.
STAND UP FOR CHILDREN!
A child is a mirror: what you see is a reflection of what you have shown.
A child is an echo: what you will hear back is what you have said.
A child is a piece of paper: every passerby can leave an impression.
A child is a future: the potential is endless and the outcome can be amazing.
A child is a gift: and something this precious deserves to be protected!
Don't Go It Alone - There Is Help!
24 Hour Hotlines and Other Resources:
|VA Family Violence & Sexual Assault||1-800-838-8238|
|James House – DV/Sexual Assault Intervention Prevention||804-458-2840|
|District 19/Crisis Intervention||804-862-8000|
|Colonial Heights Police||911|
|Colonial Heights Police Non-Emergency||804-520-9300|
|Victim Witness Program – Laure Hahn, Director||804-520-9258|
|Child Protective Services||804-748-1100|
|Central Virginia Legal Aid||804-862-1100|
|Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court Service Unit||804-520-9355|
Join the Domestic Violence Task Force
If you are interested in serving on the Colonial Heights Juvenile & Domestic Violence Task Force, please call the Office on Youth & Human Services at (804) 520-9286.