Renewing a Concealed Handgun Permit


Applicants who are renewing a concealed handgun permit must apply in the City or County of their residence. Applications are available in the Clerk's Office from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm. Applications may be filed with the Police Department between these hours as well. Applications are also available through the State Police at the following web site:

Processing Fee

The processing fee is $50. Payment may be made by check or money order (payable to the Colonial Heights Circuit Court Clerk). Debit and credit cards are not accepted for the payment of such fees.

Background Check

The Police Department performs background checks and then forwards this information to the Circuit Court Judge who enters an order either granting or denying renewal of the permit.


The Clerk’s Office will notify the applicant in the self-addressed, stamped envelope previously provided by the applicant. Please allow 45 days from the time the completed application is filed.