Fire Permits

Download Fire Department Permit Application

Open Burning

The Fire Department does not allow open burning, except recreational fire and burn barrel fire in accordance with the State Fire Code. Open burning is any burning of materials wherein the products of combustion are emitted directly into the ambient air without passing through a stack or chimney from an enclosed chamber. 

Paint Removal

The Fire Department requires a permit for the use of any flame torch for the removal of paint or other building products in which the flame could be exposed to combustible building materials.

Blasting Permits

The State requires a blasting permit to be issued any time there are explosives used for building or construction sites. Only those Licensed or Approved by the State can apply or obtain a blasting permit.


The Fire Department requires a permit for the manufacture, storage, possession, sale, display and use of fireworks as defined in the Statewide Fire Code. A permit is not required for the sale, storage, possession, display, or use of permissible fireworks as defined by the code.

Permissible fireworks

– Any sparkler, fountains, caps for pistols, or pinwheels, party poppers, pop rocks, and snap-n-pops, or similar consumer fireworks.

Illegal fireworks

– Any firecracker, torpedo, skyrocket, or any other object that contains any explosive or inflammable compound or substance, and is intended, or commonly known, as fireworks and which explodes, rises into the air or travels laterally, or fires projectiles into the air. The storage, possession, sale, display and use of any illegal firework is a criminal violation.

Hazardous Materials

The Fire Department requires any business that stores, dispenses, uses, manufactures or processes with any hazardous materials in excess of exempt quantities per the fire code to obtain a permit. For a list of those hazardous materials and exempt amounts, please contact the Fire Marshal’s Office. A permit is required for each separate category of hazardous materials.

  • Aerosol products – excess of 500 pounds of Level 3 or Level 3
  • Compressed gas – permit for compressed gas exceeding exempted amounts
  • Corrosive – 200 cubic feet
  • Flammable – 200 cubic feet
  • Toxic – Any amount
  • Asphyxiate – 6,000 cubic feet
  • Oxidizing – 504 cubic feet
  • Cryogenic – permit for any cryogenic in excess amounts
  • Flammable – More than 1 gallon
  • Inert – 60 gallons
  • Oxidizing - 10 gallons
  • Physical or health hazards - not indicated
  • Flammable or combustible liquids – Operational, storage in excess of exempt amounts
  • Hazardous Materials – Operational, storage is excess of exempted amounts or required by SARA Title III
  • LP-Gas – Operational permit for the storage or use of LP – gas in excess amounts
  • Magnesium – Operational permit in excess of 10 pounds

Operational Permits

The Fire Department requires an operational permit for any of the following.

  • Amusement buildings – operational permit required
  • Battery Systems – operational permit to install lead-acid batteries more then 50 gallons
  • Combustible dust-producing – operational permit of combustible dust as defined
  • Combustible fibers – operational permit of combustible fibers more then 100 cubic feet
  • Fire hydrant and valves – Operational permit for the use or operation of any fire hydrant
  • Floor finishing – Exceeding 350 sqft using Class I or II liquids
  • Fumigation and thermal insecticidal fogging – Operational permit required
  • Hot Work Operations – Operational permit for hot work as defined
  • Tires – Operational permit to the storage of scrap tires and tire byproduct that exceeds 2,500 cubic feet and for indoor storage of tires and tire byproducts
  • Temporary membrane structures, tents and canopies – Operational permit for any air-supported temporary membrane structure 900 sqft or more and having an occupant load for more than 50 people.
  • Waste Handling – Operational permit required for wrecking yards, junk yard, waste handling as defined