Commendation or Complaint

How to Make a Complaint or Commendation

If you wish to make a complaint or commendation about the actions of an officer or about any aspect of law enforcement operations, please:
  • Come to the Department and tell any employee that you want to make a complaint or commendation
  • Call the Department or the City Manager's office and tell the person answering the phone that you want to make a complaint or commendation
  • Write your complaint or commendation and mail it to the Chief of Police.
Commendation Form
Complaint Against Police Officer Form

A supervisory officer can assist you in filling out a complaint or commendation form. This form asks you to identify yourself and then to give specific details about your complaint or commendation.

What Happens After Complaint or Commendation is Submitted

After submission, your complaint will then be investigated. You may be contacted and asked additional questions about your complaint. If it is going to take a long time to investigate your complaint, you will receive a letter telling you approximately when you may expect a reply. When your complaint has been investigated, the Chief of Police or his designee will review the investigation and will write you a letter explaining the results of the investigation.

Mailing Address

Colonial Heights Police Department
100-A Highland Avenue
Colonial Heights, VA 23834
Telephone: (804) 520-9311
Email Address: