The City of Colonial Heights has several ordinances that deal with code enforcement, including:
- 129-5 Remediation of Damage or Defacement of Property
- 244-6 Property Owners to Remove Unsafe Substances
- 244-7 Cutting or Removal of Vegetation
- 244-11.1 Exterior Storage of Objects and Equipment
- 273-27 Certain Parking restricted in residential districts
- 273-36 Inoperable Vehicles
- 286-518.05 Parking of Commercial Vehicle, recreational vehicle, utility trailer, boat and camper in Residential districts.
- 286-530-18 Site Triangle on Corner Lots
- 286-530-20 Fences and Walls in a Residential District
- 244-14(G) Supervision of collection; cans and containers.
General Community Standards
- Exterior property areas should be kept in a clean, safe and sanitary condition. Some of the most frequent exterior problems are improper garbage and rubbish storage, overgrowth of grass and tall weeds, and inoperable vehicles.
- Grass and Weeds must be maintained below twelve inches.
- Improper storage and accumulation of garbage and rubbish attracts rodents, animals and vermin, produces noxious odors and creates potential health hazards. Garbage stored outside should be placed in approved, leak proof, covered containers. Accumulation of rubbish such as ashes, paper, rags, cartons, boxes, tin cans, and metals, discarded appliances, and inoperable mechanical equipment are required to be disposed of properly.
- Inoperable vehicles are unsightly, clutter the neighborhood, and provide harborage for rodents and are an attractive nuisance for children. These vehicles are required to be stored in a completely enclosed building or screened or shielded from view. An inoperable vehicle is one that displays neither a valid inspection nor a valid license plate or which has had parts removed or is in such condition that prohibits its operation.
- Trash and recycling bins must be placed behind the front plane of a residence, except for scheduled pick-up from 12:00 noon of the day before collection, through 7:00pm the day after collection.