Can I burn leaves or brush in the City?

Open burning is regulated by the Fire Code, Department of Forestry, and Department of Environmental Quality. Any open burning larger than 3’ foot in diameter and 2’ foot in height would require an open burning permit and approval from the Fire Marshal’s Office. Only normal combustible materials can be burned, i.e. wood or paper. No trash, household waste, plastics, petroleum products, etc. are allowed to be burned. Recreation fires, less than 3’ foot x 2’ foot, shall be 25’ foot from the structure or property line. Burning in an approved barrel shall be 15’ foot from a structure or property line. A structure includes residence, garages, shed, or outbuildings.

All open burning is prohibited during area burn bans or when weather conditions makes it hazardous.

All fires shall be completely extinguished prior to leaving it unattended.

Show All Answers

1. Do you bill for hospital transports, and if I don't have insurance, will you still transport me?
2. Who do I call to apply and pay for ambulance transportation (Fare Care)?
3. What fireworks are allowed in Colonial Heights?
4. Can I burn leaves or brush in the City?
5. Are campfires allowed in the City?
6. Why did a fire engine come to my house when I called for an ambulance?
7. If I have a fire at my home, is there a charge for Fire Department response?
8. Will the Fire Department remove an animal from my house?
9. Does the fire department give out free smoke detectors?
10. Can I use a gas or charcoal grill at my apartment?
11. I have information about a fire or possible arson, who do I need to call?
12. Why do fire trucks and ambulances from different localities come to my house?
13. Will the Fire Department conduct a Fire Inspection on my residence?
14. What are the requirements for smoke detectors in a residence?
15. Do I need a carbon monoxide detector in my residence?
16. Does the Fire Department install child safety seats in vehicles?
17. Are there Fire Department requirements for the construction of a building?