About the City Attorney's Office
The Colonial Heights City Attorney’s office is responsible for providing professional and timely legal representation and advice to the Mayor and City Council, City Manager, city departments, employees, various boards and commissions, and the School Board.
City Attorney Position
The City Attorney is an appointed position, serving for an indefinite term and at the will of the City Council. By City Charter, the City Attorney is the duly authorized legal adviser to the council, City Manager, Colonial Heights School Board, and other agencies of the city.
The City Attorney performs various routine duties:
- Provides opinions of any question of law
- Prepares and / or examines any ordinance and resolution contemplated for consideration or adoption by the City Council
- Prepares or approves all bonds, deeds, leases, contracts, or other legal instruments considered by the City Council or School Board
- Institutes all proceedings deemed necessary or proper to protect the interest of the city and / or school district
- Attends City Council, Economic Development Authority, Planning Commission, and School Board meetings.
Other substantive areas involving the City Attorney's Office time and resources include representing the city and its agencies in: